Organization: Sexual Violence Center | Location: Minneapolis, MN
Activity Area: Youth Development, Sexual Assault Advocacy | Job Type: Full-time | Salary: $40,000 - $43, 000 annually
The Sexual Violence Center is an independent, non-profit organization working in Hennepin, Carver and Scott Counties. We provide support to youth and adults through our 24-hour telephone crisis line, individual counseling, support groups, hospital accompaniment, and legal advocacy at no cost. SVC is a volunteer-driven organization: 80% of agency direct service support is provided by our volunteer and intern advocates.
For more information about our work, visit www.sexualviolencecenter.org.
This position offers the opportunity to elevate the voices and leadership of the youth we work with (up to age 24) and increase support for youth in communities, schools, and other youth-serving programs. The Youth Advocate provides services in Carver, Hennepin, and Scott counties.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides individual counseling, advocacy in school, and court settings and general assistance services.
- Coordinates, plans, and co-facilitates youth support groups.
- Designs and evaluates recruitment strategies to increase community participation in youth programs as needed.
- Design, facilitate and present community education and professional training as appropriate for school personnel and other youth-serving agencies.
- Forms partnerships with schools and other youth-serving agencies across Carver, Hennepin, and Scott counties in order to facilitate the provision of advocacy services within those organizations.
- Work with the Volunteer Services Manager to recruit volunteers for youth events and program activities.
- Responsible for coordination of resources and activities for annual youth leadership cohort.
- A strong commitment to social justice.
- Candidates who are bilingual in English and one of the prevalent languages in our service delivery area (i.e. Spanish, Somali, Hmong) strongly encouraged to apply.
- Direct service advocacy experience in sexual violence or related fields.
- Experience working with directly with youth, especially experience empowering young people.
- Skill and willingness to recognize the experiences and knowledge of young people; share leadership and encourage youth-led facilitation.
- Comfort and skill providing presentations and training.
- Access to reliable transportation and the ability to travel within the Sexual Violence Center’s service area (Carver, Hennepin, and Scott counties.)
- Demonstrated ability to work and build respectful relationships with people from diverse backgrounds.
- A team-oriented person who will foster a positive working environment.
- Flexible and adaptable to a fluid work environment.
- Excellent customer service skills; ability to work with victims/survivors and community partners in a friendly, cooperative, and professional manner.
- All persons of every race, ethnic background, spiritual belief, economic status, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, or personal ability, are equally affirmed into community, leadership, and employment at the Sexual Violence Center.
This position is open until filled.
To apply, please visit: https://www.indeedjobs.com/sexual-violence-center