Organization: Standpoint | Location: Minneapolis
Activity Area: Advocacy | Job Type: Full-Time | Salary: $51,500
Closing Date: 09/20/2020
Standpoint (formerly the Battered Women’s Legal Advocacy Project) is the premiere legal resource for domestic and sexual violence victims/survivors, as well as those who work with survivors including advocates, attorneys and other system professionals. Standpoint provides direct representation and legal information to survivors of violence. Standpoint also provides extensive training, litigation support and expert legal support to those working with victims of domestic and sexual violence across the state of Minnesota. Standpoint exists to promote justice for, and to respond effectively to the constantly evolving legal needs of domestic and sexual violence victims.
Job Description & Responsibilities
This position will be staffed by a bi-cultural advocacy professional with significant experience working with victims and survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault, sex trafficking and/or labor trafficking in any of the following communities including, but not limited to: Native American, Latino, Asian, African, immigrant, deaf and hard of hearing, and/or LGBTQIA.
- Develop, manage and implement innovative programming to respond to the specific legal needs of underserved communities.
- Work closely with domestic and sexual violence advocates and attorneys across the state, as well as professionals who work with victims in underserved populations and sex and labor trafficking
- Consult with management on Standpoint’s annual work plan to assist in the inclusion of the needs of underserved populations
- Implement and oversee program activities, maintain data, generate quarterly/annual statistical reports and conduct program evaluations
- Maintain relationships with community outside of DV/SV field professionals preserve quality of services
- Facilitate trainings and produce written materials.
- Develop culturally competent training materials and Technical Assistance Packages
- Create, promote, conduct, and facilitate culturally competent trainings
- Travel within Minnesota (for training purposes) is required
- Expand Outreach to Underrepresented Communities.
- Network with grassroots and other organizations to promote, encourage and support community organizing efforts aimed to overcome legal/social barriers for underserved populations
- Participate in task forces and network meetings related to underserved communities to share expertise in working with underserved communities
- Develop community alliances to further policy, systems advocacy and legal changes to address the needs of underserved populations
- Commitment to Standpoint’s mission, vision and values
- Bi-cultural in Native, Latino(x), Asian, African, African-American, immigrant, deaf and hard of hearing and/or LGBTQIA communities
- Demonstrated knowledge of and expertise in the root causes and dynamics of domestic and sexual violence required.
- Experience providing legal advocacy to domestic and sexual violence victims required. (Preferably in Minnesota)
- Experience organizing, working with or advocating on behalf of underrepresented communities OR a bachelor degree and at least one year of the above-mentioned experience. Preference given to experience in Minnesota.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including experience in training and public speaking. This includes both in-person and virtual platforms for multiple-disciplinary teams and community groups.
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills
- Self-starter with good time-management skills
- Experience in project development, management, implementation, data collection, project reporting and/or evaluation
- Computer literacy
- Willingness to learn new skills.
- Applications from members of underrepresented communities are strongly encouraged, including but not limited to: people of color, LGBTQIA, veterans, immigrants and people with disabilities
- Unpaid work and/or life experience will be considered equivalent to paid employment experience
- Statewide travel required
- Licensed to drive in Minnesota preferred
- Background check required
Other relevant position information
- Must be able to work closely with domestic and sexual violence advocates and attorneys
- Knowledge of other language(s) is a plus
- Knowledge of tribal law and/or relationships with the Tribes in Minnesota is a plus
- Knowledge of other women’s rights issues is a plus
This is a full-time, exempt position. Salary is $51,500 a year. Health and dental insurance available. Generous vacation, sick and holiday policy.
Send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, ATTN: Hiring Committee
Preference will be given to candidate submissions received by 9/20/20, but the position will remain open until filled.