Organization: Family Tree Clinic | Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Activity Area: Education/ Teaching, Health/ Medical/ Counseling | Job Type: Full-Time | Salary: $17 - $20 Per Hour
Who We Are:
Family Tree Clinic is a leader in sexual and reproductive health care in the Twin Cities and Minnesota. Founded by community activists and volunteers in 1971, our vision is to eliminate health disparities through innovative, personalized sexual health care and education for diverse needs. We work to achieve this vision through providing patient-centered health care services, community education and outreach, and through developing alliances across the state to promote sexual health and freedom in our communities. The staff at Family Tree is a team of committed, passionate, and smart individuals who work hard and are eager to learn and grow together as we provide services and education to our communities.
Core Value Statements:
- Commitment to furthering social and reproductive justice: striving for and demonstrating a conscious awareness of cultural markers and lenses related (but not limited) to race, ethnicity, country of origin, religion, family narrative, gender identity, immigration status, gender presentation and expression, sexual orientation and expression, mental and physical ability, size, class, and age; sex positive; striving to center justice lenses in our daily work and long-term goals
- Mission-focused: conveying passion for our mission with an understanding that our work evolves over time, and that there are many ways we accomplish our collective goals; supporting a workplace environment that is in service to our mission
- Collaborative and accountable: being mindful of our differences and striving for self-awareness; accountable to colleagues, patients, clients and community members; acknowledging of one’s own mistakes and striving to learn from them; supportive of ongoing learning
- Direct and respectful: being honest, candid and straight-forward in a way that acknowledges the power of our words; assuming the best intentions when engaged in difficult conversations; conveying respect for each other and our clients; upholding workplace standards and Family Tree’s mission in all of our interactions
Family Tree Clinic seeks a Sexual Violence Prevention Community Educator with a strong passion for sexual health education and a commitment to social and reproductive justice. The Sexual Violence Prevention Community Educator is a key team member and will work to further our mission, vision, and values through providing healthy relationship and healthy sexuality presentations with a focus on serving middle and high school youth, with a special focus on LGBTQ and IBPOC (Indigenous, Black, People of Color) identified folks. The Sexual Violence Prevention Community Educator will also work to build relationships and influence policy (in a variety of contexts) that will lead toward meaningful, sustainable culture change. This educator will work in settings such as: schools, GSAs, correctional facilities, chemical dependency treatment centers, alternative learning centers, shelter and transitional housing programs, parent groups, and LGBTQ youth groups. Presentation topics will include: healthy relationships, coercion and consent, online safety, sexual orientation and gender identity, undoing gender stereotypes, communication and negotiation skills, anatomy, pregnancy/STI/HIV prevention, and additional topics as needed. Lessons are drawn primarily from the FLASH curriculum.
- Plan, implement, and evaluate healthy relationship and sexuality education programming.
- Teach skills and promote social norms that protect against sexual violence.
- Assist in developing evaluation tools.
- Provide warm referrals to Sexual Offense Services of Ramsey County.
- Work with Community Education Department to coordinate program administrative details including communicating with teachers, scheduling classes, tracking information with demographic collection systems and generating reports.
- Build relationships with partner organizations, especially those serving LGBTQ community, to deliver programming.
- Motivate community members, school staff, policy makers and thought leaders to increase interest and action on sexual violence prevention.
- Promote healthy relationships and sexual violence prevention through speaking engagements and other avenues.
- Distribute take home materials and information about additional resources to participants and community members.
- Participate in department and full staff meetings, and collaborate with representatives from other agencies.
- Recruit participants for educational programming.
- Collaborate with our Deaf, DeafBlind, and Hard of Hearing program educators.
- Provide input and assistance to other Family Tree programs as needed.
- Uphold professional standards including confidentiality guidelines.
- Uphold standards of trauma informed care and principles of Motivational Interviewing. 90
- Bachelor’s degree in related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated passion for sexual violence prevention and sexual health education.
- Enthusiastic facilitation/public speaking skills necessary.
- Interest and experience working with teens.
- Ability to professionally and strategically exercise clear boundaries when talking about sensitive topics.
- Ability to communicate successfully both verbally and in writing with a wide variety of people.
- Dependable with self-directed work habits.
- Excellent organization skills, able to handle big picture and small detail aspects of work.
- Collaborative work style.
- Open to constructive feedback and striving for personal growth.
- Recognizes ways that race, gender identity, sexual orientation, and other identities (historically and presently) intersect and play out in classrooms and in the workplace.
- Competency with a variety of basic computer programs (Google suite, Outlook, Word, Excel, Power Point)
- Knowledge of family planning, sexually transmitted infections, and general sexual health preferred.
- Must be able to provide own dependable transportation.
- The educator will experience a wide array of work environments, sometimes including an office and desk, sometimes teaching in classrooms and other community settings.
- Must be able to deliver presentations for many hours in a row most days of each week during the busy times of year.
- This position requires a lot of driving and some lifting/carrying of teaching supplies.
The Sexual Violence Prevention Community Educator reports to the Health Education Director and works closely with other Health Education staff.
40 hours per week, including some evenings and weekends as needed. Benefits eligible position. Pay scale $17-20, DOQ.
Please email cover letter, resume, and 3 professional references to Lindsey@familytreeclinic.org (she/her/hers). No calls please.
Family Tree Clinic is committed to building and maintaining a diverse staff. People of color, LGBTQ-identified individuals, and those with ASL, Spanish, or other language skills are strongly encouraged to apply.