Organization: Tubman | Location: Minneapolis
Activity Area: Payroll | Job Type: full-time | Salary: $20 - $23
Closing Date: 04/15/2021
As the Payroll and Accounts Payable Specialist you are a member of both the Human Resources and Finance teams. In this position you are responsible for administering timely and accurate payroll for approximately 140 employees, coordinating employee benefits administration, reviewing and processing invoices, answering vendor files and inquiries, and processing and distributing checks.
This position requires someone who is experienced and very comfortable with transactional accounting work. It is an essential position and requires extraordinary attention to detail, ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines.
• Process every-other-week payroll.
• Process employee status changes, promotions, pay changes and/or market adjustments and all other compensation, deductions, and reimbursements including but not limited to all benefit packages, garnishments, reimbursements, etc.
• Respond to employee inquiries regarding payroll issues or concerns.
• Manage invoice process for payroll related expenditures, benefit carriers, or other payroll deduction related reporting.
• Develop and produce all required and requested payroll reports and queries ensuring accurate and timely information.
• Research and resolve payroll and related inquiries or issues, coordinating with vendor (Paychex) on technical issues or other related matters
• Assist with maintaining employee paper and electronic files, assisting with audits for the Human Resources and Finance teams and assisting with research or other specialized projects
• Perform the day to day processing of accounts payable transactions to ensure that finances are maintained in an effective, up to date and accurate manner.
• Data entry invoices for payment; scheduling and preparing checks; resolving purchase order, contract, invoice, or payment discrepancies and documentation; ensuring credit is received for outstanding memos; issuing stop-payments or purchase order amendments.
• Receive and verify invoices, petty cash accounts, and credit cards.
• Verify that transactions comply with financial policies and procedures.
• Verifies vendor accounts by reconciling monthly statements and related transactions;
• Prepare batches of invoices for data entry.
• Maintains accounting ledgers by verifying and posting account transactions.
• Record checks and prepare for mailing.
• Disburses petty cash by recording entry; verifying documentation.
• Maintain updated vendor files, file names, and W9, generate and administer 1099s.
• Provide general assistance and administrative support for both human resource and finance departments.
Job Skills & Qualifications
• Associate’s degree in accounting plus 2 years experience or 4 years work experience in both AP and Payroll
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team
• Strong problem-solving skills
• Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
• 4 years of general accounting experience
• 1 year experience coordinating employee benefits
• Experience using MS Dynamic GP
• Experience using Paychex
• Experience with any HRIS
Tubman’s philosophy is rooted in our inspiration and namesake, Harriet Tubman. Facing unrelenting adversities, Harriet Tubman encouraged others to simply “Keep going.” Each year Tubman provides safety, hope, and healing to over 25,000 people of all ages, genders, and cultural backgrounds who are facing violence, exploitation, homelessness, addiction or mental health challenges. Our culturally responsive services are rooted in decades of research, innovation, experience, and partnership. Incorporating feedback from the people we serve and the community, Tubman provides countless ways to help. To learn more, please visit www.tubman.org.
We encourage applications from people of color, multilingual speakers, people of all genders, veterans and people with disabilities. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.