Organization: Cornerstone Advocacy Service | Location: Bloomington, MN
Activity Area: Advocacy | Job Type: Full-Time | Salary: $34,000 plus DOQ
Closing Date: 01/17/2020
The General Crime Services – Community Engagement Advocate will conduct outreach and education to individuals, law enforcement, schools, corporations, and community organizations on crime prevention and victim service strategies to improve the safety and well-being of our community. This will include the nature and scope of victimization; crime prevention strategies; the causes and consequences of victimization; the need for improvements in the social service, criminal justice, and victim service systems to enhance the response and experience of crime victims; and the services and resources available to victims from community-based and government-based agencies. In addition, this position will be also providing direct support and advocacy for victims of general crime.
Estimated Percentage Breakdown – Outreach/Training – 60% Volunteer Engagement – 20% Direct Service – 10% Administrative – 10%
- Develop and maintain relationships and collaborations with other agencies and systems that provide interconnecting services and referrals for survivors and their families.
- Conduct outreach and training efforts to educate the community on crime victimization issues and services available to victims to community service groups, civic organizations, law enforcement, special populations, professional organizations, schools, etc.
- Provide input into the design of public relations materials as they relate to general crime services and the utilization of social media in consultation with Cornerstone’s marketing staff information regarding public awareness and education around crime victimization issues and services available to victim/survivors.
- Provide direct services, as needed.
- Work collaboratively with other staff across Cornerstone’s internal programs.
- Act as a resource to other staff, volunteers and interns as it relates to general crime.
- Attend program meetings.
- Other responsibilities as deemed necessary.
- Responsible for training and supervision of volunteers and interns as assigned.
- Assure data entry is completed accurately as assigned.
- Complete accurate statistical reports as assigned.
- Assist in developing and reporting of program outcomes.
- Support the grant writing process, i.e. research, information gathering, etc.
- Promote Cornerstone Advocacy Service’s (CAS) mission & philosophy.
- Display high ethical and professional standards.
- Participate in internal CAS committees and represent CAS on external committees as assigned.
- Provide support to and attend CAS events, e.g. conference, volunteer recognition, fundraisers, etc., as assigned.
- Support CAS marketing initiatives.
- Attend all staff meetings and required trainings.
- Support CAS marketing initiatives.
Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice, Public Health, Social Work, or related field. Two years of experience providing services to victims of crimes. Knowledge of the criminal justice system, social service and accessing community resources. Experience working with diverse populations. Must have a reliable car, valid driver’s license and proof of automobile insurance.
- Experience in public speaking, training and meeting facilitation.
- Ability to explain the criminal justice process, including the investigatory stage, case review, prosecution process and post-conviction process.
- Experience in building collaborations across agencies.
- Knowledge and aptitude of Microsoft Office, web based applications, social media, and other related forms of technology.
- Excellent written communication skills.
- Understanding of the impact of interpersonal violence on a micro and macro level with some experience in providing direct services in a related field.
- Broad knowledge of resources and systems which interface with victims of interpersonal violence (domestic violence, sexual assault, trafficking, general crime, etc.).
- Experience in working with diverse populations and marginalized communities with training in and/or commitment to anti-oppression work.
- Valid driver’s license, insurance and reliable vehicle.
- Ability to travel and work flexible hours including some evenings, weekends and overnights.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities and those who may be Deaf/Hard of Hearing, to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to use manual dexterity for use of objects, tools or controls as well as visual acuity. The employee is required to stand; walk; sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. The employee should always request assistance if any object needs to be lifted and the employee feels that their capabilities are such that the specific item to be lifted is beyond the employees abilities. No employee should attempt to lift more than what is comfortable for them. If such a situation should arise the employee should notify their supervisor to find help with lifting any item regardless of weight if the object to be lifted is awkward or difficult to lift in any way.
Cornerstone strives for a fully inclusive work environment and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, familial or marital status, and/or with regard to public assistance or any other characteristic. These statements are not intended to encompass all functions and qualifications of this position; rather, they are intended to provide a general framework of the requirements of the position. Cornerstone is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
Cornerstone offers a generous salary and benefits package.
RESUMES without COVER LETTERS will not be reviewed or considered for employment at Cornerstone Advocacy Service.
Please e-mail your COVER LETTER AND RESUME to email@example.com.
No agencies; No walk-ins; No phone calls please.