Organization: Cornerstone Advocacy Service | Location: Bloomington, MN
Activity Area: Human Services | Job Type: Youth Advocacy | Salary: $16.35 per hour
Closing Date: 12/31/2019
Cornerstone is a $5M agency with approximately 90 employees. Our organization serves individuals impacted by domestic violence, sexual violence and human trafficking, with office locations in Bloomington, Minneapolis, and Brooklyn Center.
Cornerstone has developed one of the most comprehensive service continuums for victims of violence in Minnesota. Our services are designed to move individuals and families from crisis to safety, stabilization and security. Last year approximately 4,000 individuals accessed Cornerstone programming. In addition, through Cornerstone’s statewide Day One Crisis and Crime Victim Support lines, we provided services to over 20,000 persons via phone, text and chat. We are committed to providing opportunities for others to partner with us in this work and to convey, as a community, zero-tolerance for violence. (www.cornerstonemn.org)
The Child & Youth Advocate is responsible for providing individual and family supportive and advocacy sessions for children, youth, parents, and family members impacted by domestic violence, human trafficking/exploitation, or sexual violence. In addition, this position will participate in group facilitation, organized group activities/field trips, phone triage, intakes, case management services and referrals to community providers as appropriate. Although, the main function is direct service for participants, this position will participate in outreach efforts for the program, community training, and collaboration with other providers as needed. This position is primarily based in Bloomington but may be expected to work in other Cornerstone locations or supportive housing sites as needed.
*Must be available to work a minimum of 3 evenings (until 8pm) a week and periodic weekend hours.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES
• Conduct intake session with every youth and parent/caregiver, assess needs and implement appropriate services or make referrals for services
• Provide phone or in-person support for youth and/or parents and triage for appropriate services if needed.
• Facilitate support groups for children and youth of all ages who are at-risk or survivors of domestic violence, human trafficking/sexual exploitation, or sexual violence
• Provide relevant supportive services to youth and parents/caregivers who are at-risk or survivors of domestic violence, human trafficking/sexual exploitation, or sexual violence
• Advocate on behalf of participants with community organizations, schools, or human services system in order to coordinate care
• Complete safety plan with all children and youth.
• Facilitate parent supportive services (i.e. education, advocacy, or group) and communicate with parents/caregivers regarding concerns or progress
• Assist in the scheduling and supervision of volunteers and interns
• Maintain general understanding of community resources for children and families
• Collaborates with other PECS or Cornerstone programs to provide prevention, outreach, educational, or intervention services
• Maintain cleanliness of all CYF spaces
• Other responsibilities as assigned by supervisor
• Report continuing education as requested
• Properly document all incidents, follow accident prevention policies to ensure that clients are not unduly exposed to preventable injuries
• Work in compliance with all Cornerstone policies and procedures
• Maintain accurate, complete, confidential participant information in files and data base in a timely manner
• Maintain confidentiality of records in accordance with current HIPAA standards
• Complete data entry and program documentation in a timely manner
• Participate in programming planning and/or implementation of activities and special events
• Must be available to work a minimum of 3 evenings a week (until 8pm).
• Must complete the required sexual violence/domestic violence training within the first 6 months of employment
• Ability to travel to various location for participant or professional meetings
• Participate on internal committees as assigned
• Attend all-staff meetings and trainings
• Promote Cornerstone mission and philosophy
• Display high ethical/professional standards
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Must have strong interest and passion for working with children and youth.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in related field of social science, social work, psychology, and child development. Experience in crisis intervention, individual support with traumatized children, group facilitation skills, and parents/guardians education. Preferable experience with children, youth, parents, and families impacted by domestic violence, sexual violence, and human trafficking/exploitation. Understanding of community resources, and how to access them. Ability to work independently and to make decisions under pressure. Experience working with diverse population. Candidates of color are strongly encouraged to apply. Bilingual skills are preferred. Must have access to a reliable car and possess a valid Minnesota driver’s license and provide proof of ongoing automobile insurance.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities and those who may be Deaf/Hard of Hearing, to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to use manual dexterity for use of objects, tools or controls as well as visual acuity. The employee is required to stand; walk; sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must lift and/or move up to 50 pounds (maintenance 40 pounds (CYF & Emergency Services) and 30 pounds (Balance of Staff). The employee should always request assistance if any object needs to be lifted and the employee feels that their capabilities are such that the specific item to be lifted is beyond the employee’s abilities. No employee should attempt to lift more than what is comfortable for them. If such a situation should arise the employee should notify their supervisor to find help with lifting any item regardless of weight if the object to be lifted is awkward or difficult to lift in any way.
Cornerstone strives for a fully inclusive work environment and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, familial or marital status, and/or with regard to public assistance or any other characteristic. These statements are not intended to encompass all functions and qualifications of this position; rather, they are intended to provide a general framework of the requirements of the position. Cornerstone is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
Cornerstone offers a generous salary and benefits package
How To Apply:
Please E-Mail your cover letter & resume to email@example.com
No agencies; No walk-ins; No phone calls please
RESUME without COVER LETTER will not be reviewed for any job opening at Cornerstone Advocacy Service. Please email both cover letter and resume.