Organization: Standpoint | Location: St. Paul
Activity Area: Advocacy | Job Type: Full-Time | Salary: $50,000
Closing Date: 12/06/2019
Standpoint has a unique opportunity for a motivated and resourceful advocate. Preference will be given to candidate submissions received by 12/6/2019, but the position will remain open until filled.
Background: Standpoint (formerly the Battered Women’s Legal Advocacy Project) is the premiere legal resource for domestic and sexual violence victims/survivors, as well as those who work with survivors including advocates, attorneys and other system professionals. Standpoint provides direct representation and legal information to survivors of violence. Standpoint also provides extensive training, litigation support and expert legal support to those working with victims of domestic and sexual violence across the state of Minnesota. Standpoint exists to promote justice for, and to respond effectively to the constantly evolving legal needs of domestic and sexual violence victims.
Job Description & Responsibilities: This advocate will split their time between development and implantation of our Housing Rights Project and providing advocacy over the phone to victims of domestic and sexual violence and their advocates from domestic and sexual violence organizations in Minnesota. This advocate will have strong interviewing skills and experience in crisis intervention. Knowledge of and experience in providing direct services as a legal advocate within criminal and civil court and Minnesota law are crucial to providing advocates the support they are needing when they call in for help with their clients. Experience providing housing advocacy is a plus.
Take the lead in the development and implementation of Standpoint’s Housing Rights Project.
● Work closely with the Staff Attorney with a Housing Focus to create and implement training and education to advocates, landlords, survivors, and other professionals on housing rights and on housing advocacy
● Create and coordinate eviction expungement clinics
● Develop resources for stable and safe housing for families and youth experiencing homelessness due to domestic or sexual violence
Serve as an expert resource on the legal needs of domestic and sexual violence victims in Minnesota
● Answer legal and resource questions and provide safety planning from callers to Standpoint’s
toll-free action line
● Represent the Agency and the needs of advocates on collaborative teams
● Respond to requests for community education on the legal needs of domestic and sexual violence victims
● Organize community or collaborative efforts that engage advocates and domestic and sexual violence victims in improving the legal system’s response to domestic and sexual violence
● Maintain the necessary level of expertise in Minnesota law to be an effective resource
Help create an inclusive and welcoming environment for all individuals in regard to diversity, which can include but are not limited to; geography, race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, immigration status, veteran status, familial status, sexual orientation, gender and gender identity/expression, age, ability and religion.
Other duties as required, including supervision of Program or Project employees, interns and volunteers.
● Demonstrated knowledge of and expertise in the root causes of violence against women and the dynamics of domestic and sexual violence required.
● At least 5 years of experience providing legal advocacy to domestic and sexual violence victims required. (Preferably in Minnesota) (Unpaid and non-traditional work experience will be considered equivalent to paid employment.)
● At least three years of experience organizing, working with or advocating on behalf of underrepresented individuals, including those who live in rural communities
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including experience in training and public speaking
● At least one year of experience in program or project development and implementation
● Self-starter with good time management skills to complete set deadlines
● Computer literacy
● Applications from members of underrepresented communities are strongly encouraged, including but not limited to: people of color, LGBTQIA, veterans, immigrants and people with disabilities.
● Statewide travel required
● Licensed to drive in Minnesota preferred
● Possible background check
This is a full-time, exempt position. Salary is $50,000 a year. Health and dental insurance available. Generous vacation, sick and holiday policy.
To apply interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to: Standpoint
ATTN: Hiring Committee
2233 University Avenue W, Suite 150 St. Paul, MN 55114