Improving Laws and Policies to Support Survivors
Meaningful laws and policies improve the response to sexual violence. Through our public policy committee and collaborative relationships on local, state and federal levels, MNCASA promotes change in in three key areas:
- Identifying and strengthening sexual violence prevention approaches.
- Supporting adequate funding for victim service advocacy programs.
- Building a strong justice system response to sexual violence through effective laws and policies.
MNCASA’s State Legislative Agenda
Each year MNCASA proposes and tracks bills in the Minnesota State Legislature. Our public policy committee adopts legislative priorities in late fall after consultation with MNCASA member programs and stakeholders. MNCASA is also responsive to proposals from lawmakers introduced during the course of the legislative session, which begins in either January or February and ends in May of each year.
- The National Alliance to End Sexual Violence works with statewide sexual assault coalitions to advance national public policy efforts.
- The National Task Force to End Sexual and Domestic Violence coordinates with many stakeholders across disciplines to advance national public policy efforts.
- The Stop Violence Against Women website offers extensive resources for prevention and intervention, primarily for legal experts and advocates.
- The Alliance for Justice provides information about the rules governing nonprofit lobbying and advocacy.
- The Minnesota Council of Nonprofits offers Minnesota-specific rules governing nonprofit lobbying and advocacy.
Who represents me?
- The Minnesota Office of the Secretary of State offers general information about voting and elections throughout Minnesota.
- Rock the Vote provides voter information by state and GOTV resources.
- NonprofitVOTE engages America’s nonprofits in voting and elections.